Rafael Nadal's 2017 revival has been almost as impressive, still three head-to-heads between the two this twelvemonth take all gone Federer's way, with Lord's day's Miami Open up final win leaving the Swiss star in a supremely strong position heading into the clay court season.

The pepped-upward Federer has leapt 15 places in the ATP rankings since the first of the year, with wins at the Australian Open, Indian Wells and Miami Open sending him up to fourth. Yet such is his improvement that Federer could even need just one more Grand Slam championship (combined with a moderately successful showing in the Globe Tour Masters k events) to catch Andy Murray at the top of the rankings by the terminate of the agenda twelvemonth and finish 2017 equally globe number i.

Wimbledon

'Anybody is against the war' - Mouratoglou 'shocked' by ban for Russian and Belarusian players

4 HOURS AGO

It's an boggling position for Federer to find himself in, and awards him the luxury of sitting out the grinding demands of weekly events on tour – something he says he's going to take total advantage of during the upcoming clay courtroom season:

I'grand non 24 anymore then things take to change in a big manner and I probably won't play any clay court events except the French (Open). I demand a balance, my trunk needs healing. I need time to gear up.

"I want to stay salubrious considering when I'm healthy and feeling good I can produce tennis like this," Federer connected after his win in Miami. "If I'm not feeling this adept in that location's no chance I would be in the final competing with Rafa. That'due south why this interruption coming into clay court season and focusing everything on the French, the grass (Wimbledon) and and so the hardcourts (U.S. Open up) is going to be the key to me.

"Wimbledon has to be the biggest goal... but all of the grass actually is of import to me because I'll play Stuttgart and Halle at that place, besides. Then of course I am looking very good for the [ATP] Finals, for the year-end championships, where I've been very successful. I like the indoors as well. So for me basically the second half of the flavor is a big priority at present. That's why I'll have a pause."

Roger Federer of Switzerland celebrates match point afterward defeating Rafael Nadal of Spain during the Men'southward Concluding and day 14 of the Miami Open at Crandon Park Tennis Middle on Apr 2, 2017 in Primal Biscayne, Florida

Image credit: AFP

Roger and Rafa's legendary rivalry has been rekindled since the start of the yr, with the pair producing some spectacular tennis confronting each other – particularly in the Australian Open. And Sunday's meeting in Miami was a particularly poignant reunion equally information technology occurred in the same tournament where the pair met for the very first time back in 2004.

Nadal showed his immense hope with a last-32 win on that occasion, but in their 37th meeting information technology was Federer who emerged with a straight sets win, leaving the Spaniard still searching for his first title in Miami despite reaching v finals. During his on-court interview after the lucifer, a sentimental Federer said:

This is where it all started for us in 2004. You were a little male child, y'all grew into a large strong man. We've had some great battles over the years. In 2005 I was very lucky to beat you here in the last, I told you so that y'all'd one twenty-four hour period win this tournament and I however believe y'all'll win this tournament. Yous're also good not to.

Nadal, who is up to fifth in the ATP rankings and trails only Federer in the year's Race to London rankings, seemed positive with his display despite the defeat, pointing to huge improvements from the friction match in Indian Wells.

"Today was a close match in my opinion," Rafa admitted. "Information technology was six-3, 6-four, only I had opportunities to have the pause before him on the first set. I don't believe in luck, but I was non very lucky in the start set in a couple of points that I remember I played well and I lost in the intermission points, and that's it. For me it was a much closer lucifer than what the issue says , and completely unlike than last calendar week.

"I am close to what I demand to be. I am at a very high level of lawn tennis and I believe I am ready to win titles. I already played three finals this twelvemonth, losing three times with a player that didn't lose a friction match. I'm playing plenty well to fight for everything I think. I have good hopes that I going to be ready for Monte-Carlo. Always when I am playing that well, on dirt always helps a piffling bit more for me. I need to work hard to be set up for that. If I am prepare for that, I recall I am very excited almost playing back on dirt again."

Tennis

'It's hard work' - Swiatek on 21-match winning run after win over Raducanu

fourteen HOURS Agone

ATP Barcelona

Alcaraz beats Tsitsipas in Barcelona Open thriller

fourteen HOURS Agone